Steinecke Maciura LeBlanc is a leader in professional regulation in Ontario. To our knowledge we are the only firm in Ontario solely dedicated to advising regulators. Our award-winning lawyers have extensive experience acting as general counsel and prosecuting counsel for numerous regulators, as well as independent legal counsel for discipline committees. We provide trusted advice to entities that regulate professionals, trades and industries regarding their public interest mandate. Our team of professional, knowledgeable and engaging lawyers focuses exclusively on assisting regulatory bodies with respect to all aspects of professional regulation, including registration and licensing, establishing codes of ethics and standards of practice, drafting regulations and by-laws, investigations, as well as conducting discipline and fitness to practise hearings. Our lawyers regularly appear at all levels of court in Ontario.
There are approximately forty professions in Ontario that regulate themselves under statute. In addition, many other professions participate in voluntary self-regulation. Regulatory activities include:
- Registration, including accreditation and examination;
- Complaints and investigations;
- Discipline for misconduct or incompetence;
- Incapacity and impairment matters;
- Standard and rule setting;
- Quality assurance, peer assessment and inspection programs;
- Client relations and public education;
- Respect for human rights and the Charter of Rights and Freedoms;
- Compensation issues for dishonesty or breach of trust (not for negligence); and
- Prosecuting unregistered persons engaging in unauthorized practice or use of title.
All of these regulatory activities require a fine balance of legal correctness, the public interest and professional values. Legal advice must be expert, sensitive, practical and innovative to enable regulators to maintain an appropriate balance and to assist their members in practicing their professions effectively. Regulators who wish to obtain legal services from a firm that is exclusively dedicated to the complexities of professional regulation choose Steinecke Maciura LeBlanc.
Steinecke Maciura LeBlanc can:
- Audit an organization’s information handling practices;
- Provide staff training and support; and
- Conduct annual reviews and refresher courses.
Clients can also choose to purchase written materials from the firm and do it themselves. See our section on privacy for more information.